Severe weather events often lead to power outages, and during those outages, there are many necessities that you will not have access to if you are not prepared in advance.
Having a portable generator that you can pull out at a moment’s notice will allow you to remain as comfortable as possible until your power is restored. Everyday things that you’d normally take for granted that having electricity provides. Power keeps your food from spoiling, allows you to cook, charges your phones and so much more.
If you are without power for longer than a few hours, these simple things can turn into a big expense – especially if you have stock piled meats and food. Not to mention the luxury of heat which you will definitely miss if your power goes out for a few days in freezing temperatures.
While portable generators are an excellent source to keep appliances running and will allow you and your family to remain comfortable without your main power, it is important to follow safety precautions. Not doing so can allow noxious gas to build up, as well as other generator-related hazards.
Have the Right Generator
Be sure to purchase a generator that is rated highly enough to provide the amount of power that you actually need. A generator that is too small will not be able to run the appliances you want, and a generator that is too large is unnecessary and could amplify other risks, such as CO buildup and fire hazards.
DON’T USE INDOORS
Even if you have a room that has open windows and other forms of “sufficient” ventilation, you never want to use your generator in your home or garage. CO can still buildup quickly in these situations and you won’t be able to notice until it has reached dangerous levels.
Also keep the generator away from open windows when placed outside, as this could also be a risk for CO poisoning. Purchase portable CO detectors to be especially wary of gaseous buildups in and around your home.
Cool Before You Refuel
Allow the generator time to cool down before refueling (gas generators). Any possible spill on a heated component of the generator could spark a flame that would endanger your home.